15 helpful tips to take the pain out of planning
After you’ve said YES, you’ll be keen to get cracking on planning your dream wedding. According to our research, most people plan their wedding between 6 months to 1 year out with the average engagement lasting 14 months. Now is the perfect time to start planning for a spring/summer wedding.
Over 50% of people find weddings overwhelming to organise, with this in mind we are delighted to provide a quick guide to the biggest actions. It’s not an exact science though and the most important thing is to relax and enjoy the journey. A great way to kick off the organisation is to purchase a wall-planner or a book where you can add tasks to dates and scrapbook ideas, Not On The High Street have a great range or you could use a standard spreadsheet.
We hope you find this guide a useful starting point:
- Set a budget – Having a confirmed budget really helps with decision making on all aspects of your big day and it also narrows down the infinite amount of options.
- Start researching – Once you have a budget in mind, you’ll have an idea of the size of the wedding and the type of location. This gives you a chance to find an ideal spot and a style you’d like. There are some great tools to help you do this such as starting a board on Pinterest.
- Define the Wedding party – This is a really joyful activity as everyone you ask to take a role in your wedding is sure to be super delighted. It helps to do this as soon as possible as Bridesmaids and Best Men (or Women) are crucial in organising the Hen and Stag do’s and the sooner those plans are put into place the better.
- Choose your guest list – Defining the size of the wedding is crucial – did you want an intimate day or a really large party? Will children be invited or not? Lots to consider!
- Decide on a theme – This is where all your research starts paying off! You may want to theme in with the season, or your favourite colours and tastes. Do you see yourself in the countryside or a more metropolitan surrounding? Are you looking for a formal day or something a little more casual? Popular themes include Rustic, Outdoors and colour schemes like dusky pink and grey or lavish gold. You can theme from the Save the Dates onwards – choosing a striking silver look with a Modern Calligraphy font, for example. We have a beautiful range of high quality foiled wedding stationery available to make your life that bit easier.
- Book the venue & registrar – Finding the perfect venue can take time, but once you know the size of the wedding, what kind of style you’d like and the budget you are prepared to pay, your options will be narrowed down. You can then confirm your date and importantly book a registrar for that day. Then rest easy… it’s really happening!
- Send Save the Dates – Once the venue is booked you’ll want to notify all the guests to ensure they have plenty of notice to attend. One big bonus with sending a Save The Date is that you don’t need to have sorted out the whole shebang but your guests can still plan for it. Have a read of our blog to discover why Save The Dates can save your sanity. Check out our range of Save the Date magnets here.
- Determine the order of the day – Creating a running order will help illustrate all the elements you’d like for your wedding day, that way nothing will be forgotten!
- Choose the menu – Such a fun activity, especially if you are going to the tastings! It’s great to do this ahead of sending out the invites, in case you have a choice that guests are required to select from prior to the event. Don’t forget to consider vegan and vegetarian options too.
- Decide on gift options – Another exciting job that should be done before you send out the invitations so you can include this information. Are you going to send out a Wedding present list, a request for vouchers, money gifted for a honeymoon – or simply the pleasure of your guests’ company.
- Send the invitations – Once you have all the information and the main plan is in place you can send your guests the invites which include all the information they need. Having them personalised really adds to your guests’ anticipation and makes them very memorable. You can shop our range here.
- Find the dress (and other wedding outfits) – By this point you’ll undoubtedly have a good idea of what you want to wear, in fact you may well have thought about this before the proposal! Now is the time to make the final decision, this gives time for alterations, shipping and choosing accessories.
- Book the photographer/videographer/DJ/flowers – Good photographers and DJ’s can get booked up years in advance so it’s reassuring to get them booked up as soon as you. You could also choose the flowers and florist at this point. Now is the time to think about anything quirky that you might like to include, such as a photobooth.
- Collect RSVPs and plan the tables – Once you know who is coming, you can start preparing your table and seating plan. We have some beautiful table numbers that can really give your wedding a luxury touch plus will be super helpful to all your guests on the day
- The Finishing Touches – You can now focus on the practical but beautiful details on the day that make it go with a bang. Have a look here for some inspiration. Get those speeches ready and look forward to having the day of your dreams!
We have a variety of beautiful Wedding Stationery options, including foil and illustrated designs and will gladly talk through your requirements, helping you every step of the way. We are also proud to have a range of more fabulous options available in Next and Etsy.