6 reasons why Autumn is the perfect time of the year for a Hygge wedding
Hygge – the well known Danish concept which means “creating cosy and convivial atmospheres that promote wellbeing*” – is perfectly suited to Autumn. This time of year makes it easy to celebrate comfort, intimacy and love and allows us to revel in the simple moments that give us a warm glow.
If you are planning your wedding in Autumn, you can keep the feeling of Hygge centre stage, which will give an extra special twist to your special day and spread happiness and love.
- The Weather: Autumn is the perfect season for creating a warm and inviting atmosphere, in fact, the Hygge feeling is actually increased by the colder temperatures, the howling wind or pouring rain
- Nature: The change of seasons gives us the most wonderful display. Leaves falling from the trees in an array of vibrant colours and soft stunning skies creates a jaw-dropping natural backdrop
- Colour scheme: Taking its cue from nature, deep purple, berry reds, vibrant oranges, lush greens and shimmering rose gold are the order of the day. The natural beauty of Autumn and this rich colour scheme complement each other perfectly
- Location: With the right attention to decor almost any venue can be cosy. However, this style of wedding really suits a rustic barn or country house. Think real open fires, snugs, wooden beams and windows that showcase autumn in all its glory (while staying cosy inside)
- Decorations: A key element in making your space Hygge is atmospheric lighting. Put flickering candles on the tables, adorn the venue with glittery fairy lights and glowing lanterns and use rose gold foiled table decorations to catch the dancing light. You can also make the most of nature’s bounty, creating bouquets and centrepieces with foliage and berries and using wooden candle holders as a way of bringing the outside in
- Comfort food and warming drinks: Mouthwatering dishes such as beef wellington and roast dinners will be a real winner with all your guests, especially when served before a delicious steaming dessert like Sticky Toffee Pudding. Dare to be different and serve your guests a warming mulled wine or a satisfying hot chocolate laced with Baileys with rather than the traditional champagne or summery Pimms
*Collins English Dictionary